Why do I own so many floral prints?

22 01 2011

I think I have already mentioned that I have fabric in every room and that over Christmas, I tried to consolidate.  This is still definitely in the category of ‘work in progress’.  Anyway, I pulled out scraps, charm square and bits so that I could see what I could use to make blocks for the Queensland Quilters and I have so many floral prints particularly in 5 and 10 inch charm squares.  WHY?  HOW?  They are all beautiful fabrics and I remember cutting the charm packs what I don’t remember is why I kept so many.

Some of these have now gone into blocks which I am about to put in the post so that is a good use for them.

The first set started as 10 inch squares which I cut into quarters.  I then (stupidly ’cause they ended up 9 inches when they were supposed to be 10) cut 4.5 by 1.5 inch green strips and yellow 1.5 inch squares.  Here are the resulting blocks:

I emailed Lynette from Sunbury quilters, who very generously didn’t tell me I was an idiot and suggested that they can use blocks of any size.  If you want Lynette’s details, you can see them in my post from 16th January. 

So, with correct maths in mind, I tackled a big pack of 5 inch squares.  I had a pack of 120 5inch floral, so I made 30 blocks using the same pattern as the earlier ones.  Except this time they are 10 inches square.  They are true scrap quilt blocks, with four different florals randomly selected.  They may be a bit much by themselves so I have cut some squares of plain green matching the blocks sashing so that they can be alternated.  Lynette and her group can use them all however they want to.   Here are these blocks:

Now, completely sick of florals, I went back to my happy place with some brights.  Sadly these too are 9 inch blocks, but they need some black or dark navy sashing and that will make a good sized quilt.  These started as 10 inch charm squares and strips of tone on tone brights.  I cut the strips 1.5 inches by 12 ish inches and used the Stack and Slash technique.  I did six piles of four, cutting each pile differently.  I stitched one strip into the cut and then cut again.  Here is the end result:

Hopefully these fabrics that have been in a cupboard for a very long time will find a good home.

Advertisements

Actions

Information

One response

8 03 2011
CeCelia

I just love the bright blocks n the way you put them together. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: